< Previous|more articles in Sip & Savor
Sip & Savor
Memorial Day Recipe: Quinoa Salad With Cherries And Almonds
A healthier take on the classic American cherry pie...
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add 2 cups water, wine, and salt to pan; bring to a boil. Add quinoa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; set aside, and cool slightly.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add quinoa, cherries, almonds, mint and parsley; toss gently to combine.
Image and recipe adapted from Cooking Light.